Just two weeks ago,
I woke up to the sounds of frogs croaking and the fresh scent of living plants
carried in through the window by the breeze.
I went to bed in the heat shortly after the sun said goodnight. Now I go to bed several hours after the sun, wearing
long sleeves, with a few layers on the bed.
The window is cracked, but it lets in the drone of cars and the honking
of their horns as they race along the Pan-American Highway. When I look out the window, instead of being
greeted by evergreen trees, green grass and cornfields, I see a few small
banana trees, paved streets, and brick buildings that show evidence of having
been constructed one room or floor at a time.
Some things seem so
long ago and some things so recent. At
other times I wonder about things that have or haven’t changed. Home always seems the same, although I know
it too, like the people in it, are in constant evolution. Our home here in Chiclayo has much of the
same furniture in it, but we’ve made improvements such as installing warm water
in the shower, fixing broken windows, and purchasing a table. Outside too, the street is now paved and less
dust bursts through the seams of the windows.
Some of the streets in the center
of the city have also been paved and there seems to be more security. But as I
flag down a Combi and am forced to jostle my way to the back and cram myself
into a space too small for me to fit, I look out the window and see the same
people who live in the streets- the woman who wears plastic sacks, an old man
who packs his bags of possessions along and sleeps on the curbs, an elderly
woman selling gum, a man playing a recorder waiting for alms in a can, and the
money changers near the banks, I am reminded that perhaps not much has really
changed.
Aprill - great to learn you and Igor are finding success in the document navigation process! Still very 'green' in Kansas but we are getting really tired of the mosquito armies that attack as soon as we go outside - maybe there is a positive to a dry climate. :).
ReplyDelete