Like a goldfish brought home from a pet shop and placed in a bowl full
of water, I know I’m in a different environment from that in which I grew. Yet when asked to describe the new water, I
can’t, and what I used to know seems a distant memory that often escapes
me. That being said, I have moments when
I’m startled by my environment before being jolted back to reality.
Living in the city of Chiclayo has been a challenge for me. Sometimes I get sick of the constant buzz of
traffic, horns honking, people asking for money, and the exaggerated
formalities in the workplace, but often times I go about my days without taking
much notice of those things. They don’t
irk me all the time. And then there are
the things that I love: the fresh produce in the markets, the dancing that
accompanies every fiesta, and time spent with Igor and Iris.
In some instances I’m caught off guard, living in my own world, where
my everyday life surprises me. The other
day, while Iris and I were in looking out the window at the Pan-American
Highway, we saw quite a number of motorcycles go by, which really isn’t
unusual, but having forgotten my surroundings, I asked myself if Sturgis or
some other large motorcycle rally was going on.
At other times, I suddenly realize that someone in the street below my
window is speaking Spanish, only to remember a moment later that everyone
around me speaks Spanish all the time. On other occasions, I’ve marveled at how black
a baby’s hair is compared to Iris’s, just to remember that she’s part of that
less than 1% here who doesn’t have black hair.
Probably the most unsettling of those moments is to wake up hearing some
birds chirping thinking I’m at home on the farm, to looking around for a
confused moment wondering where I am. A
peddler of olives, fish or tamales is sure to call me back to Chiclayo.
So you see, my life in Lambayeque is different from my life in
Nebraska; at the same time it’s not so different. I’m well adapted, so I can’t tell you exactly
what it is that makes Chiclayo Chiclayo, but know that it is a place of chaos
and extremes and contradictions; home nevertheless.
No comments:
Post a Comment