As is tradition in Peru, Igor, Iris and I brought in the New Year wearing new yellow undies. The undergarments are said to bring luck and prosperity to those who wear them as the clock rolls from one year into the next. I imagine millions of pairs of yellow underwear were sold in the last week. They could be found in heaps in carts, hanging on stands, and sprawled out on sidewalks throughout Peruvian cities.
We also dived under the table at midnight to gobble up 12 grapes. Each grape signifies luck to come each month.
We didn't burn an effigy as it is illegal in our city district, but throughout much of the city Donald Trump was the popular figure to be lit.

Happy 2017 to you from the three of us.
We also dived under the table at midnight to gobble up 12 grapes. Each grape signifies luck to come each month.
We didn't burn an effigy as it is illegal in our city district, but throughout much of the city Donald Trump was the popular figure to be lit.
Happy 2017 to you from the three of us.
Haha. Glad you could participate in some of the fun traditions for the new year. I love that Peruvians recognize Trump as a good choice to burn in effigy. I'm so glad that Igor has been able to be home for a little while. Not too many more months to go! Love, Joyce
ReplyDeleteThanks. We had fun and are enjoying the time we have together.
DeleteWe listened to an article on the radio that talked about New Year traditions. We didn't have time to get yellow underwear, but really liked the idea that if one ran around the block with a suitcase, one would then travel in the new year. So I dragged Todd out at midnight to do just this, except we walked rather than ran because of the ice on the roads. Lets hope our beliefs become our realities. Happy New Year.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't heard of that tradition. Where is it popular? I'm glad you got to travel around the block with a suitcase. That would be fun...and if I ever live in a place where it's safe to do so, I'll be dragging our whole family around the block :)
DeleteColumbia
DeleteHi Aprill, I just got caught up on your blog. I'm so glad you got to spend a few days with Igor. I found your excerpt on plans interesting as we just recently were discussing how life takes it's twists and turns. I had not even heard of Colstrip, Montana 7 years ago and now we have lived here for 6.5 years. Part of the fun for Dave and me is planning for the future and dreaming together of what we would like or think might happen. Rarely is it like we have planned but we are certainly enjoying where the journey leads. I admire your sense of adventure and adaptability to whatever situations you find yourself experiencing. It is inspiring to your readers. Keep up the interesting blogging and I hope you, Igor, and Iris have a wonderful 2017!
ReplyDeleteThanks LaCinda. Life is wild. It's so true that things don't always go as planned, but that's often times okay anyway. All the best in this coming year wherever it may take you.
ReplyDeleteWe are so thankful that your first week of the New Year is being spent with Igor and Iris!
ReplyDelete