It’s easy to get caught up in our own lives, to make plans, to never
think of the impossible. On the night of
the 31st of December, our household, as well as all the neighbors,
were celebrating. There were fireworks
and hugs and greetings all around. Even
a few effigies were burned. And we
brought in the new year.
From our apartment windows, I can see the Pan-American Highway. It provides a pathway for a variety of people
and means of transportation. In any
given 5 minute interval, one can see people crossing the world’s longest
street, people alighting and boarding combis,
collectivos and taxis, see someone
peddling a cart full of goods, hear a bus or truck rumble by, the honking of
horns, the screeching of breaks, the calls of neighbors, and smell
exhaust.
Yesterday afternoon, I sat reading on our sofa while Igor was busy at
the hospital. Suddenly, the volume of
noise outside grew and I looked out to see a swarm of perhaps 40 or 50 people
gathered near the highway near our corner.
“What is going on?” I asked myself.
I was soon to discover that a young boy (perhaps 8 or 9 years old) from
our block had been playing with water balloons and had stepped onto the
highway, been hit by a vehicle that had done its best to slam on its breaks,
but the boy went flying and lost his life.
Two women wailed uncontrollably, trying to rush out onto the
street. Men held them back. Other curious onlookers and gossipers
gathered round. Traffic piled up. And then, less than a half an hour later, as
quickly as the commotion had begun, it vanished as though nothing had
happened.
I’ve seen other accidents nearby.
I witnessed one moto-taxi
driver go flying to his death.
Fortunately, I didn’t see the accident occur yesterday. But moments like this come like interruptions
to our dreams, calling us back down to earth, reminding us that nothing in
permanent. “Wasn’t that one of the little boys giggling and lighting fireworks
down the street last night?” Igor asked me when he got home. “It may well have been,” I replied. While some blame his mother for not having
been watching him at that moment and having prevented that accident, I pity
that young mother that I do not know. No
one can pay attention to their children 100% of the time. Miracles happen every day. We take risks and we survive. But every once in a while, someone is
unfortunate and lives are changed.
What was celebrated with high hopes of being a great year, has turned
into tragedy for some. The police came
today to take pictures and write up a report and the same nosy neighbors turned
up to watch. And the lesson to be gained
from all of this… It can happen to anyone.
Life is a gift. Dance every day
and appreciate the little miracles of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment