Friday, January 30, 2015

Just one of those mornings

I try to be patient.  I really do.  But sometimes...sometimes...it's hard.  I woke up to just one of those mornings, where try as I might, things just didn't seem to go the way I wanted them to.

For starters, I didn't hear my alarm clock, so woke up half an hour late.  In my hurry, I spilled the pot of water that I was going to boil for the day all over the floor and my sandals.  I opened up the fridge to take out what I thought was an humita from the night before to heat up for breakfast, but was thoroughly disappointed when I unwrapped the corn husks to discover that it was a tamal that I was placing in the skillet.  Oh well, no time for fussiness.

As I was heading out the door, I just about locked my keys inside (but fortunately remembered at the last moment).  A few more steps just beyond our gate to the landing and I placed my clean black shoes write in a puddle of my sister-in-law's dog's pee.  Back to the apartment I hopped on one foot to wrinse off my shoe.  Another try and I just barely missed the doggie dung at the bottom of the stairs, only to have the dog jump on me and leave his footprints on my suit pants and jacket just before pulling the door shut.

Scampering across the Pan-American highway, I'd likely just missed a partially empty combi and was left to wait for several minutes while all the vehicles passed by full.  All went well at the university and then I headed home.  I tried to text a private student, but the message wouldn't go through.  Wasting my last minutes of call time, I rang him and told him if he wasn't feeling better, we could reschedule for another time.  I didn't want a sick person in my apartment (and he'd been sicker than a dog leaving his germs all over my things the day before).  He assured me he was better, but I knew better when he arrived.  For some reason, this student (who lives four block away and had just come from home) decided to bring his toothpaste and entered our bathroom as if it was his own and begin to spit all over the sink.  His sneezing and coughing without covering his mouth continued until the end of the lesson, leaving me with a queezy stomach.

Then a knock at my door requesting to use the last of the salt in my house and the morning concluded.  What a morning!  Some days must just be meant for an exercise in patience to make sure we haven't forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment