Like the “OK” that so easily splashes conversations
worldwide, the commercialization of snowmen and plastic Christmas trees,
Americanization has once again found its way into another culture, threatening
to wipe out a national tradition with the materialistic holiday of candies and
skeletons.
El Día de la Canción
Criolla, or The Day of the Criole Song”, always celebrated on the 31st
of October began 71 years ago. Born of a
rich mixture of peoples, with traditional drums and guitars the music reflects
Peruvian history from African slaves brought to the country, to indigenous
groups living for millennia in this land and to the Spanish who made their mark
nearly 500 years ago.
Though Peruvians speak of their holiday with pride and radio
stations do feature fitting artists, I have yet to witness the traditional
celebration of this special day. My
students always tell me “You know the 31st is El Día de la Canción Criolla,” only to segue into another thought a
moment later, “Hey! I went shopping for a Halloween costume for my daughter,”
or “I love Halloween. I’m going to buy
sweets.”
Disguised as Laura Ingalls Wilder for six of my seven years
of elementary school and as a high school graduate the only other year, I
remember many years of celebrations as we paraded down Main Street in small
town Nebraska with our class. The
glimpses I now catch of fairies, pirates, skeletons, monsters and Disney characters chaotically roaming
international department stores and the mall is a far cry from those fun
memories. I see smiles on children’s
faces and adults alike as they think consider themselves sophisticated
celebrating an international tradition and I am knotted. I am happy for their pleasure, saddened by
their lack of commitment to their own holiday and surprised by the way it all
plays out.
This little girl isn’t doing any trick-or-treating;
nevertheless, in the spirit of autumn in the USA, our little Peruvian is decked
out to celebrate a tradition from her maternal homeland, while listening to the
radio to honor her fatherland.
I/we so enjoy your writings. I'm learning more about the people than just writings in a book. Iris is a beautiful little girl and looks so like your baby pictures. I think of you very often. Love, Helen
ReplyDeleteThanks! I appreciate your support and think of you often as well.
DeleteI'm sure if I saw Igor's baby pictures she'd look like him too, but she looks so much like your family Aprill!
ReplyDeleteJacque, I may be biased, but I think she bears far more resemblance to my family than his.
DeleteThank you Janie! We are looking forward to her visit. Hope you are doing well.
ReplyDeleteThank you Janie! We are looking forward to her visit. Hope you are doing well.
ReplyDelete