Thursday, October 23, 2014

Her Words

     Today, I got the kind of three paragraph essay that every ESL teacher would love to get from a student nearing the end of her first year of English studies.  A well-thought-out paper, with several sentences and where her voice really came through.  After reading a story about a beggar, this week and brainstorming about situations that lend themselves to that lifestyle or situation, I asked the students to use the remaining 40 minutes of class to write their opinion about  beggars in Chiclayo.  While some papers were disappointing, in fact so much so that I had to ask students three times to redo portions (just like little kids who rush through their assignments quickly just to go play at recess) and they still didn't do a very nice or thorough job, this paper was excellent.  Below is her paper with only a few minor spelling and punctuation corrections.  The rest I will leave as it was written:

     When you go walking in Chiclayo, you probably see a beggar in the street many times.  I don't think that the beggars are dangerous; not all the beggars.  Some people need mone, but I ask myself, "Why don't they get a job?"  Well, some beggars are old or sick, but others are young and strong.  Whatever.  Maybe someday the number of beggars will decrease and they won't sleep on the streets or die in poor conditions.
     I'm generous if I have money.  I feel sorry for these people, especially for the children and elderly people.  When I have money, I give money.  But if I have food, I give food.  I think that food is important and this way you can know the truth.  Some "beggars" don't take the food.  They want money, and that is not cool.
     I remember when I gave food to a child.  He was very small and thin.  His clothes were very dirty and torn.  He took the food, smiled and said, "Thanks."  To me, I mean the expression on his face, this was the truest thing.


1 comment:

  1. It is well written and thoughtfully presented. She will go far in life.

    ReplyDelete