Thursday, October 30, 2014

The sound of war

   A humming sound is heard in the distance.  It increases to a deafening roar.  The windows rattle.  A few seconds later, the noise dies down and a war plane can be seen buzzing off to the south of our home and looping back around for another take.  I look out the window to see a plane that just took off leave a trail of air pollution behind it.
   We live near one of Peru's two airforce bases where fighter planes do test runs, and the country's first line of defense.  Normally, I'm unaware of the racket that they make, as I am working elsewhere, but a few days this week, I have been home during the later portion of the morning, when all the windows begin to rattle and the roar of the engines permeates the air.  But it's only a few minutes of my day.  What horrible noises people in war torn countries must endure, besides for all the other hardships they must face!


No comments:

Post a Comment