Friday, October 17, 2014

My Secret Collection

     If you've never lived in Peru, you probably can't imagine how valuable coins printed with the numbers 10 cents, 20 cents, 50 cents or a Nuevo Sol (which is about 35 cents of the US $) are.  A cough drop, band aid, a lime, or sheet of computer paper can be purchased for 10 cents.  20 cents can get you two tea bags, a good-sized handful of fresh basil or a carrot and fifty cents can buy four bread rolls (my breakfast + half of Igor's).  With a sol, I can take a Combi to the centre of Chiclayo to go to work.   
     Although I hate to admit it, it's more my nature to hoard things than to keep secrets, I find myself doing both of those things here.  I stash coins away in a secret place as they always seem to be in demand but in short supply.
     For instance, when taking public transportation or making a small purchase, if I only have a 10 or 20 soles bill to hand over, often times the cashier or money collector will not be able to give me change and will be horrified by my attempt to pay with such a large amount of money!  Forget using bills of 50 or 100 soles for nearly anything.  In order to minimize such stressful and sometimes embarrassing situations, I try to get change whenever possible and dole it out as little as possible.
     The other day, Igor only had a 20 soles bill and needed change, so asked me if I could spare a few coins.  I (inwardly a bit grudgingly) went to my secret stash to share and Igor appeared behind me.  With eyes wide open and much excitement, he said, "Wow!  You have a lot of coins."  We don't need to try to get change for some time.  We can use this all up first!"  I disagreed.  My stash dwindled but has found a new home.  It's impossible to live peacefully here and go about one's daily tasks without small (and exact) change.

No comments:

Post a Comment