Thursday, October 9, 2014

At that moment, I should have left

     We were in the mall in Chiclayo for the evening, relaxing and contemplating which electric kettle, we wanted to invest in.  We made our purchase then passes by a store with exercise equipment.  Igor got sucked in and of course went along.  At ten minutes to eight, we were approached by an employee warning us that there would be an earthquake drill at eight o’clock. 
     “Let’s go,” I pleaded with Igor.  “Okay, just one moment,” he replied.  One moment, changed to several minutes and I continued to plead.  Then at 7:59, he decided that maybe I was right and we should leave, but it was too late.  We should have left when we were warned.  Just before we got to the stairs, we heard the alarm sound.  We went to the first floor and outdoors, where we were trapped inside the barred gates for the following 20 minutes with thousands of other people wishing the drill would end and we could just go home. 
     What did I learn?  1. Looking at weight machines on sale is a very hard place to drag Igor away from.    2. Don’t annoy security guards by taking selfies during the drill (that was a second-hand experience).    3.  Leave immediately when warned about an earthquake drill.    

1 comment: